Joan Allen Detectors

Minelab.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are metal detecting rallys seeded??

Re: Are metal detecting rallys seeded??

I have always thought this of these American rallies...too much good stuff surfacing - saxon gold and then another - then a Celtic gold......no way,sorry didnt buy it....

Put it this way just working on 10 peeps at $1600 = $16.000, now dont ask me what the current exchange rate is but thats one hell of a ammount of dosh, plant a few coins whilst using the old GPS and bobs yer uncle if they find em and go home happy, stands to reason events like these are seeded, the odds of that ammount of gold coins turning up must be astronomical

Detectorbits, 232, Wimborne road west, Stapehill, Wimborne, Dorset, BH21 2DY

You said it mick. Its just very sad that some of our own events have had to stoop to this level also.

www.detectorbits.co.uk Sole distributors in Europe of RNB Lithium Batteries & The Easy Swing Harness. We now have supplies of the new PI Xpointer probe which will be sold at a terrific price, We are sole distributors of the new probe in the UK, choice of five colours. We are also Agents for Evolution Stainless steel Products and Chefphones amongst other products..

Being a Yank, from the American's point of view, I doubt if they care if the land's seeded. They're coming over to be in a land where they dream of Celtic, Saxon, and Roman gold. They've spent thousands on their machines so they can dig up pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters -- most only 100 years old if they're lucky. They come here for the experience of a stereotypical England (and I make no apologies for this): green and pleasent land, friendly landlords who greet them with, "Hello, Guv'nor", Bobbies on bicycles two-by-two, Westminster Abbey, The tower of Big Ben, the rosey red cheeks of the little children. My apologies to the 60s song, but that's how we view our English cousins, and no amount of reality is going to change it. As was noted earlier, they've spent thousands on a 10-day holiday with their machines, so if the organizers want to throw a few coins around to make these visitors smile and return home with tales of wonder, who are we to snear?

Quote Originally Posted by muddy mick View Post
    Put it this way just working on 10 peeps at $1600 = $16.000, now dont ask me what the current exchange rate is but thats one hell of a ammount of dosh, plant a few coins whilst using the old GPS and bobs yer uncle if they find em and go home happy, stands to reason events like these are seeded, the odds of that ammount of gold coins turning up must be astronomical
    I've had three gold coins in 37 years of detecting. I do not believe that what they are finding is kosher. Only three hammered was it? No wonder the colonists think this country is paved with gold and silver How come rings older than 300 years are not declared treasure? Mine have been. If they are declared treasure the process can take over a year, I've been waiting 14 months so far on a 15th century gold ring.
    Frankly it stinks, but the Americans either don't understand what's going or they don't care. I've lost one big farm as a result of the amount of cash offered to the farmer, I hadn't detected much of it so far but the finds had been pretty sparse.
    Barrie.

maybe a good business tactic for some who make vast amounts of money mostly from our american cousins and the like but it's totally out of context as with the detectorist who takes the time to do the research and to get the proper permissions to carry out in this great hobby of ours.i might add that this is my own personal view.

I bet they have to put out a lot more than get found!!
    Can you imagine the conversation!! I think you should detect over there.. Yeah left a bit, right a bit, forward, forward that's it now dig

well ive found a lovely longcross today - I think its a eddy (london) - i didnt take a picture but can ..0..and its a beauty ...i give all my finds to the farmer, he's a great bloke and the enjoyment for me is the finding and recovering the past - i make sure i hold it and zap all the power out the coin from the last person to drop it ....before passing it on to the farmer .
    Thats 2 ive found now on his land - one short cross and now the long cross on the same field - ironically close to a roman auxillary fort of which ive found no roman...first one was with the etrac - todays with the deus in deus fast ..approx 5" readings 64 approx, come out of a pototae field just harvested....o..and another lesson learnt even with the deus - low and bloody slow or you will miss em

Im hoping my honesty will get around to the other farmers and they invite me onto their land - without the generosity of them allowing me on the land i would not get to feel te way i do at the moment --- buzzing.

off at a tangent ...ive just bought a narrowboat and will be hoping to get permissions on my cruises through the countryside - beware folks im on a mission - Rockys just bought a blisstool so with a bit of luck may get to borrow that too - your all doomed

[QUOTE=Kyle;213476]

kyle hows it going? i thought you had died or something!

hi Tombs - yes mate back from the dead - had a few probs all sorted now - sorry not to catch up with you all at the rally ....but hopefully meet you all soon bud.
    howz you mate ?

I live right next to these 'colchester rallies',my club has lost land to them,funny how some bits of well hunted land suddenly are full of fantastic finds,after being scoured for years by a club....

I stopped going to rally's years ago because I found out that this particular rally as was others were indeed seeded.

Unfortunatly money for many organisers is the main driver and if no decent finds come to light the organisers will lose customers for the next one.

The maths for charge per day soon outways the costs of a few bought coins. Just the way of the world unfortunately.
    Slàinte,

Mal

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

Chan eil aon chànan gu lẹr

Quote Originally Posted by fertler View Post
    How come rings older than 300 years are not declared treasure? Mine have been. If they are declared treasure the process can take over a year, I've been waiting 14 months so far on a 15th century gold ring.
    Frankly it stinks, but the Americans either don't understand what's going or they don't care. I've lost one big farm as a result of the amount of cash offered to the farmer, I hadn't detected much of it so far but the finds had been pretty sparse.
    Barrie.
    I attended a rally not so long back where a very very nice ancient Silver artefact was found by a Yank, the rally organizer told him it was Treasure and the guy said no it isnt, the organizer said well iv told him, what can i do ? quite a few of us were gobsmacked with this attitude to be honest, there were several things he could have done about it, but iv heard nothing since other than the guy who found it flew out of the Country a few days later, I wonder how many other items have gone the same way!
    Not only that but the organizer is a member of this forum, yes you will know who you are if you read this, maybe you can enlighten us to if you took subsequent action regards this

note to self, doubt that will be forthcoming!

i agree Mick - seems the business men type are night hawkers in suits - anybody doing anything about these lot???????????????????? or are these type of scams ok ? just sayin

I attended a rally not so long back where a very very nice ancient Silver artefact was found by a Yank, the rally organizer told him it was Treasure and the guy said no it isnt, the organizer said well iv told him, what can i do ? quite a few of us were gobsmacked with this attitude to be honest, there were several things he could have done about it, but iv heard nothing since other than the guy who found it flew out of the Country a few days later, I wonder how many other items have gone the same way!
    Not only that but the organizer is a member of this forum, yes you will know who you are if you read this, maybe you can enlighten us to if you took subsequent action regards this

Well if this carry on is going on they need naming and reporting who ever they are.Just another example of people doing what they like when in the UK.Let's not talk in riddle's,what give's them the right to get away with it or do most have no opinion .Metal detectorist's !!!! Common criminal would be a better name for them.
    Last edited by dave9; 08-10-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Everyone who swings a coil in the UK is subject to the Treasure Act and the PAS. No organizer in their right mind would allow anyone, of any nationality, to walk off with any artifact that falls within the boundries of the law. If they did, they should be reported by any detectorist who has knowledge of the incident. This is why I can't understand this business of providing export licenses, etc., when any artifact that needs to be declared has to go through the vetting process which can take up to 2 years. None of this makes sense. But then, I'm an American, which may be the root of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bowles View Post
    Everyone who swings a coil in the UK is subject to the Treasure Act and the PAS. No organizer in their right mind would allow anyone, of any nationality, to walk off with any artifact that falls within the boundries of the law. If they did, they should be reported by any detectorist who has knowledge of the incident. This is why I can't understand this business of providing export licenses, etc., when any artifact that needs to be declared has to go through the vetting process which can take up to 2 years. None of this makes sense. But then, I'm an American, which may be the root of the problem.
    Totally agree Steve,this does apply to everyone.Even more reason that this should be explained to people with a problem with the law here.

If I was going to hold a "rally" for Americans, believe me it would be an Easter Egg hunt. I would spend a couple of grand on stuff on ebay, which would not fall within the Treasure Act, and seed the ground accordingly. I'd make sure that the stuff I buried had some sort of rationale, and I would include 1 gold coin. I would also include in their application to join the rally, a form deliniating in writing the obligations and responsibilities they had under the Treasure Act and PAS. The only way one of these organizers could be promising export lincences is if they already knew that there wasn't going to be anything found that would need to be declared and examined by a coroner; in other words, a priori knowledge. Americans aren't coming here to find treasure, they're coming here to find what we find and marvel.

i think we should have some sort of metal detecting Association/club say for england and wales,through yearly subscription we could organise rallys for its members? thoughts please!

Sure, why not?

Look's like you have them sussed Mick,gone very quiet all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by dave9 View Post
    Look's like you have them sussed Mick,gone very quiet all of a sudden.
    Aye pity they dont have the magic eyeball here, as in who has viewed this thread, then i could see if hes viewed it

So who is it then ?

Its not rocket science

Please consider Platinum Membership & PLATINUM PLUS! and help us to keep this forum active along with the other services we offer such as mlotv.com and ukdfd.co.uk. If you find our services helpful please try and support us.
    I KNOW MICK!!! AAAAAAAAeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy!!!
    5 x hammered coins
    3 x Roman brooch

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast