Joan Allen Detectors

Minelab.com

Thread: COILTEK 15" WOT v DETECH 15X12" SEF

COILTEK 15" WOT v DETECH 15X12" SEF

I am on the verge of buying a larger coil for my Expl II and am being tempted towards the new SEF 12x15" coil from Detech. However i am also aware of the fantastic reputation of the Coiltek 15" WOT (the orange one) when fitted to the Explorer.
    What has really suprised me, is the lack of 15" Coiltec WOT coils being sold secondhand (ie) on Ebay. Why is this. I was hoping to get a bargain 15" WOT coil, but haven't seen any being sold.
    You would have thought people would be selling them off to buy the Detech SEF coil which everyone is raving about at the moment.
    Could it be that the Coiltek 15" WOT is still the best coil. I know the smaller Detech 10x12" SEF is the "bees knees" performance wise. However, does the slightly larger 12x15 SEF out-perform the rival 15" WOT. Has anyone compared these coils? It would be very interesting reading.
    Regards to all
    PembrokeSteve

sef knocks spots of the wot an coiltek coils ent water proof use to do my nut in when had damp grass or frost false all the time same as the platy does all ya need is a sef 15x12 m8

if you want that one go for the pro coil m8

i use the 12x10 on my explorer II ,think it the biz mate cant fault it :thumbs:

I have an 18x15 SEf and the 14in excellerator, besides the weight difference, i preffer the 14 in detech Excel, it just seems easier to use, though as i say the 18x15 is a monster but when used its knockout stable.

steveC

Glenacres Nursery, 232, Wimborne road west, Stapehill, Wimborne, Dorset, BH21 2DY
    This past week Ive used the 15" WOT, SEF 15x12, PRO COIL and the 8" MINELAB on the E Trac and every one has falsed except for the PRO COIL. I couldnt believe even the little 8" making funny noises on every swing yesterday, I put the PRO back on and everything was stable again.

Yesterdays silver, even if it was only a half and out of focus

Found in a beautiful location.

www.detectorbits.co.uk Sole distributors in Europe of RNB Lithium Batteries & The Detecting Buddy Harness. We are also Agents for Evolution Pro cut spades, Scoops & Diggers. We have a large stock also of the very best Atlantis Ocean sailing wet weather gear, rain bounces off it and sweating inside is a thing of the past. Perfect for Detecting or any outdoor hobby If you want to stay dry.

Forgot to add I also use a Sunray X12 for a bit more ground coverage as well as the 12x10 sef. Another excellent coil.

Tony!
    Certainly is a beautiful location great clear photographs mate.

Quote Originally Posted by dyson
    sef knocks spots of the wot an coiltek coils ent water proof use to do my nut in when had damp grass or frost false all the time same as the platy does all ya need is a sef 15x12 m8
    Sounds like your Wot coil is duff, they are 100% waterproof, i waded all the time on the beach with mine, till i got the SEF that is, i've now sold the Wot(got a spare though just in case)

Got a SEF on the Sov and SE (both 15x12)

need i say more

Sounds like his SEF is duff too 8O I used to be a 100% WOT user till i tested the SEF.
    But we all have our preferences :P
    Pity about that coin Tony it would have bin a corker 8O

I love my WOT for the beach combined with the SE.

Cheers,

Mal
    Slāinte,

Mal

Slāinte mhor a h-uile lā a chi 's nach fhaic

Chan eil aon chānan gu leōr

dont think there selling to well as every one wonts the sefs.and wot there worth second hand,peeps might as well keep them.

I paid for my WOT the very first time I took it out.
    Found a sweet 12 gram platinum ring on a Delaware beach.

love my wot, wouldnt sell it..
    but then, havnt tried the sef..
    didnt neil do a write up for one of the mags about june ish? :confused2:

Many thanks for all the great replies on this topic. Yep, i am sure Neil did do a magazine article on the SEF Coils. What i was really trying to do was find out had anyone "compared" the WOT against the 15x12 SEF Coil. (ie) are their any WOT coil user's out there, who have replaced their 15" WOT for the 15x12" SEF and what were their opinions. Is their any point now buying a 15" WOT coil.

dont see the point of buying a wot, when the sef is meant to be far more stable & you have one already mate!
    then again,look back to neils post, it says it all.
    & i know he loved the wot :beat:

I used the Wot 15" on my Sovereign on the beach, good coil and well happy with it, it paid for itself many times over, i then bought the sef coil after reading the Explorer SE reports, same results, deep, stable and more sensative to the small deep stuff.
    I Bought an Explorer SE, and had a SEF coil delivered with it(thanks Laura)in the same box, great results so far.
    Had i not tried the SEF for myself on the sovereign i would of probably bought a Wot for the SE, especially at the price they are going for recently.
    Why has the Wot suddenly dropped in price so much? cos people are using the SEF and have retired them, simple as that

Quote Originally Posted by essx craig
    think i'll stick witn me slimline 1050 then
    The 1050 isn't the slimline coil... I think the 1050 is a lot better coil than the slimline.

MLO Supporter
    hey tony

man oh man that is some nice looking country u get to hunt in - i like it

now i have a beach question for everyone - related to coils

with this new etrac i have, i want to buy another coil - smaller job

should i get the minelab 8" or the sunray 8"

when i owned expII i had 8" sunray and it was pretty good

thanks
    max
    <"))))><(

Quote Originally Posted by maxbenns
    hey tony

man oh man that is some nice looking country u get to hunt in - i like it

now i have a beach question for everyone - related to coils

with this new etrac i have, i want to buy another coil - smaller job

should i get the minelab 8" or the sunray 8"

when i owned expII i had 8" sunray and it was pretty good

thanks
    max
    Personally, i dont think you cant beat the pro-coil that comes with the e-trac, its so light and stable. But there again,never tried it in the waves.
    MAD??? im not mad, not so as i dont know.

MLO Supporter
    gary

it works pretty good in the waves - but with all those rib jobs it does tend to hold on to the wave - meaning the waves like to pull it more - waves can get more area to pull

and the pro coil really does a great job on the damp sand.

sounds like most of you fellows use the pro when hunting the roman stuff as well - is this correct??

i want to give the e trac a spin in search of some civil war relics soon i hope and see how it does - reports from over here is it does a great job

thanks
    <"))))><(

Please consider Platinum Membership & PLATINUM PLUS! and help us to keep this forum active along with the other services we offer such as mlotv.com and ukdfd.co.uk. If you find our services helpful please try and support us.
    pro coil is a fantastic for depth and stabillty.and a hard one to beat.been using the SEF for a couple of weeks now and there isnt much differance in them except for more coverage per swing with the SEF.the down side is the weight of the coil compared to the pro.if the areas are a bit trashy on the civil war site.the a smaller coil is best.